Thursday, July 20, 2006

What is Water Worth?

I'm one of those people who LOVES good water. You know, the type my brother-in-law calls a "water snob." I can totally tell the difference between bottled water and tap water. As much as I love to drink it, you can understand why I accepted the offer the other day when a water salesman came to the door and offered two months of free bottled water service just for trying out their new company.

Two of my favorite things in a single sentence. "Free" and "bottled water." I wasn't about to turn it down, even though The Man loaths the fact that I will actually pay money for something that we get for free right out of our sink and fridge. So the delivery guy shows up yesterday with my new water cooler and a couple of bottles to start out. Wasn't quite what I expected - the water cooler looked like they had just picked it up from some office that had it for a few years and wasn't using it anymore. But, it was clean and, most important, free.

We set it up in the kitchen and plugged it in to get the water cold. It's not loud, but it does make some noise that I can hear when my house is quiet. Did I just say, "when my house is quiet?" I have two toddlers. Like that ever happens.

This morning after getting home from the gym, I immediately went upstairs to shower and get ready for the day. I find that if I don't do it right away, I'll stay in my nasty, sweaty gym clothes until about 4 pm convincing myself that I'm "too busy to get in the shower yet." I hate when I do that. I figured I'd be out of the shower by the time Devil Child needed to go down for her morning nap.

When I hopped out I could hear a little argument between the girls. Nothing to be worried about, I was sure. I got dressed, combed my hair, and headed downstairs. Devil Child was soaking wet, and Miss Priss just looked at me and said, "She did it." Those three words haunt me.

I looked in the kitchen and realized my whole floor was now a small pond. "AAAAHHHHH!!!!! Why? Why? Why did you do this?" So there it was, my first bottle of fabulous free water, all cold and yummy, puddled on my kitchen floor.

Needless to say, the water cooler is now unplugged and sitting in the garage waiting for Dan the Water Man to come pick it up. The free water didn't cost me one red cent, but it wasn't worth all that.



I've apparently passed on my love of ice to my girls. They now ask for their "treat cup of ice" every afternoon. Bad habit? Maybe. But now I don't have to deal with the mess of popsicles all summer when all my girls want is a cup of crushed ice. :)

7 comments:

Karen said...

Mindy will totally relate to your love of bottled water! West Jordan water tastes good and comes out of the tap really cold. Although, come to think of it, Mindy liked bottled water even here! Yes, I guess you're both water snobs!

Shawna said...

Oh, what a great story. I'm so sorry you weren't able to keep your yummy bottled water.

Glennard said...

Did Emma let out all the water in the water cooler!? Like 10 gallons worth? Holy moly.

Mindy said...

From one water snob, to another, "shook!"

Unknown said...

Kim, of course I remember you! =) I don't mind you reading our goofy blog at all. I'm glad you enjoy it.
Someday, I'll post something serious...haha

I just enjoyed reading yours! Thank you for the invitation. Sounds like you have your hands full!!

Mindy said...

It's so nice to know I'm not the only one... I often spend half the day trying to get on the treadmill and the other half trying to get out of my gross workout clothes and into the shower! If I'd just get up at 5, I could get it done before the kids were up. But, sleep usually trumps workout.

Glennard said...

So funny! If I only have boys (yes, this is Kristen, not Glenn- despite the tag name showing), do you think they will be so full of fun? :) Judging by our husbands' family... I think I am not getting out scotch free on adventure! As easy as it is to say this early on, I am excited to have stories like yours when Max is running the house.
It's fun to read- thanks for posting them.