Monday, August 21, 2006

Where Much is Given

In our new ward (I guess it's not new anymore. We've been here for six months.) I was called to be one of the compassionate service leaders. There are two of us; one for all baby-related needs (me), and one for everything else (like sickness, surgeries, deaths, etc.). We help each other out when it's needed, but I'm basically in charge of helping out the women when they have new babies by getting meals into their homes, or getting babysitters and people to clean when they are on bedrest or too sick to do it themselves.

I was excited for the calling when I received it. I have had callings related to the Primary for the last five years, so this was a nice change (although I still LOVE the Primary and get the chance to sub in Miss Priss' class quite often). This calling has given me a new appreciation for the Relief Society and the women who run it. There is no doubt in my mind this organization came from divine inspiration. It is a perfect program, with complete capabilities to change lives and save souls.

I have been kept busy, busy, busy, as our ward currently has 18 pregnant women (that I know of), two girls on bedrest, and 16 babies born so far this year. In April a friend of mine lost her 22-month-old son in an accident, and another sister just lost her husband suddenly three days ago. This week will be a busy one with the funeral and luncheon to help plan, along with my two girls on bedrest that need babysitting and cleaning and meals, and another sister is having her baby today, which means more meals.

Most of these women aren't aware of the others, although I'm sure they know they are not the only ones receiving help at this time. And just as much as I am busy helping these women in their homes, cooking for them, or just taking their kids for a few hours, I just want to say how grateful I am for all the sisters in my ward who are also willing to serve. I have been called an angel, a blessing, and an answer to someone's prayers. I feel I am none of those, because the service being given is ten times (or more) than what I am able to do. I have been blessed in my own home and blessed with a righteous perspective as a result of this calling. But the sisters who offer their own time have not been called to do what I do. They do it because they can and because it's needed. There are times when I know of a sister who has cleaned four homes in one week, not including her own. There is a sister who has had a tragedy in her own life that has been completely unbearable, and yet she's the first one to volunteer to help someone else. These women are the angels.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you to all the women out there who have helped serve, who willingly volunteer, and who have inspired me in a way I can never explain. This is the Lord's work. This is the Lord's church. I am so grateful to be a part of it. It blesses my life daily. I may never be able to do enough, but I will do all I can. And for Him, that is enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOMEN, you should write a book. Did you know that you have a gift for writing? I look so forward to your blogs. You do a really good job!
You have always had really busy callings, ever since I have known you, and I really admire how well you juggle it all and how much work you really put into your callings. I need to call you and catch up to hear some of your amazing stories.

Shawna said...

Wow, you've got your hands full. No better person to do it though! It's amazing the wonderful and memorable experiences that come to us when we serve!

Anonymous said...

Kim,
I am so impressed to hear all the wonderful things you are doing for your fellow human beings. I am certain that the joy you feel in helping these amazing women pails (happily) in comparison with the joy they feel knowing they are loved and taken care of. I am proud to have a sister who cares so deeply for others - and a sister I care so deeply for.

Love you,
Amy