Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Down for the Count

I've had a hectic week, and it's only Wednesday. Not complaining, just sayin'. I took a job yesterday for my sister's firm and ended up working ALL day. Something just isn't right when you have to get up at 6:30 in the morning to be on time for a 10:00 deposition. It's one thing to have to get yourself ready to go to work. It's another to have to get yourself ready, two uncooperative and tired girls ready, make breakfast, pack a bag with snacks, extra clothes (just in case), blankies for naps, and movies for something to do for the kids since you'll be gone all day, and get them to the babysitter's house in time for you to leave and travel downtown in traffic to go to work. Then the witness didn't show up for almost an hour and a half. I could have slept in. Or at least made my hair look fabulous instead of just decent.

The job was okay, except for the fact that at 1:00 when we broke for a half-hour lunch, I was informed we may be going until 6:00 that night. Great. I told the babysitter I'd be back to pick the girls up by 3:00 or 4:00. Now I won't be home until almost 7:00. Better make some phone calls. Oops, left my cell phone at home. I hate that. I called my sister to see if she would pick the girls up for me or work something out with The Man. Luckily he was able to leave work at 4:00 and have the girls picked up by 5:00. Only an hour later than we were supposed to be there. I came home tired and thankful for a sweet husband, who had to immediately head out the door for his appointment to get his hair cut. After he's gone I finally get a chance to sit and think. "Did the girls have dinner, or are they starving?" I can't get a definitive answer out of them, so I call The Man, only to find out he fixed them frozen waffles for dinner, which is fine with me, it just happened to be what I fixed them for breakfast that morning. Oh, well. I was just glad I didn't have to cook. Ah, the life of a working mom. I knew there was a reason I stopped doing this.

The past two nights Devil Child has not slept much, which means none of us have slept much. Can't figure out the problem. She goes down just fine, but can't stay asleep. And when she wakes up, she's completely hysterical and it's near impossible to calm her down. She only seems to be okay when we sit right next to her and are touching her. She's obviously exhausted since she drifts off to sleep within seconds of us laying her back down and holding her hand or stroking her face. But just about 15-20 minutes after leaving the room, she's up again and screaming her head off. Is it nightmares? Is she afraid of the dark or being alone? Is she getting sick? No fever, but getting sick is my best guess. I tell The Man the flu has been going around like crazy, and she's probably going to get it. We try to get some sleep, but I was up two more times with my Devil Child crying, and two more times with Miss Priss crying. What is going on here?

Then this morning Miss Priss wakes up crying (again) and telling me she has a headache and doesn't feel well. After puking her guts up, I settle both girls down on the couch for some cartoons. Miss Priss is asleep again by 7:45. It's going to be a long day. I did fit in a shower, but that's about it. Luckily today was the day I had scheduled for the repairmen to come fix some things around the house, so I was going to have to wait around for them anyway.

Miss Priss took another nap this afternoon, but our Devil Child seems to be rejecting sleep altogether. Her nap was a mere 45 minutes (as compared to her usual blissful 3 hours), and she's been crying all day. Neither of them are eating, which is never a good sign. Then again, they don't really have reputations of being "good eaters" anyway. Now I just need to get some sleep so I can actually concentrate on the 200-page transcript I'm determined to have finished before we leave next week for Utah. I will NOT work while on vacation. But first, I'm off to finish the six loads of laundry that have been waiting since last week, make dinner, and get the girls in the tub. Ah, the life of a stay-at-home mom. Yes, we all know the good times far outweigh the pitfalls, but for cryin' out loud, the pitfalls suck.

On a happier note: The baby's been kicking. I love it. The Man often wonders what it feels like. Last night when he asked, I took two fingers and alternatingly tapped lightly and quickly on his leg.

"Like this, but on the inside."

"Cool."

4 comments:

Mindy said...

I totally know what you mean! When I work, it's insane getting the kids ready and everything taken care of. I wonder how moms do it when they go to work everyday?!? My sister does it, and I think she's amazing.

I hope your girls aren't too sick to come for Thanksgiving and I wish you lots of sleep tonight. It's so hard to function when you can't get more than a few hours at a time.

Shawna said...

Oh, how miserable! I hope that you guys all get a lot of rest this weekend so you have the strength to travel to Utah!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a day. I bet the extra money from working is nice but after all that work it just may not be worth it. I hate stressing about trying to find someone to watch my kids and then I feel like I am imposing on others after I ask.
I am really sad that we won't be able to meet up while you are here. I really do want to take a trip there soon though. Maybe in January when it is such a depressing month.
Glad the baby is moving and you can feel it. I always think it is fun to feel the baby move until about the 7 month and then I am really sick of it.

Amy A. said...

you are really not making me want to have kids! life is stressful enough when all you have to worry about is yourself and your spouse. i guess one day i will think it's worth it - but not anytime soon!!!!