I'm one of those lucky kids who had a really good childhood, and whose parents are still together. It's rare nowadays, but I know that it made a huge difference in the path of my life. My mom is so amazing, I don't even know if I have the words to describe her. The first thing that comes to mind is that she is a teenager stuck in a grown woman's body. She mastered the art of being a mother to her kids first, and a friend as a close second. I'm so grateful she made it easy for me to talk to her about things as a teenager and young woman. I remember coming home from a date late at night and her first question would be, "Did you kiss him?" And she would ask it like my friend from school would ask. I still don't know if she was pretending, as I imagine I would be with my daughter, or if she really was interested in knowing because she was excited for me. Knowing my mom, I tend to think it's the latter.
You'll never find my mom in a foul mood. She manages to find humor in all things, and shows it. Her laughter is contagious, and we can't help but laugh just over the fact that she laughs at EVERYTHING. Growing up, we used to make fun of her for it, and tell her she "cackled" all the time. Now, as I watch my home videos and hear her laughter in the background, it brings a huge smile to my face.
She is the most selfless person I know. She loves to shop, but it's a rare day that she brings home something for herself. She has a passion for her grandchildren, and for making other people happy. For a number of years now she's worked just so that she can "shop for the babies." I remember her as the stay-at-home mom who participated in joy school, ran errands, chauffeured us around town, and taught us how to be women. And every now and then she'd take on a job to help pay for something we "needed;" like the time she worked at Target during the Christmas season the year Cabbage Patch Dolls came out. She knew she had to get five, and that it would be impossible. She got a job at the store so that she would know when the shipment was coming in. And there she was that morning, along with a hundred other moms, I'm sure, to get us our beloved dolls. She loaded up her cart and took off for the checkout when another woman yelled at her. "You can't take FIVE!!! We're all trying to get one, too!" My mom just looked at her and said, "I have five daughters at home. Do you really think I can come home with just one or two?" I still remember that Christmas morning. They were all lined up on the couch with our names on them. And none of us could believe we actually got a Cabbage Patch Doll.
My mom often times surprises me with her boldness to do what she wants to do. Our family used to take a yearly (almost) skiing trip up to Utah, and we'd usually stay at the Peppermill (now it's called the Oasis) in Mesquite on the way up. It had like seven pools or something, and we were given the freedom to swim at whichever we wanted. Ah, heaven. We'd spend the day running from one pool to the next, having the time of our lives with no parents telling us what to do. We would eat dinner at the all-you-can-eat buffet, where I'm sure my parents got the most for their money with a family of nine. My mom, at one time, was famous for carrying these HUGE purses. It was like she never got over using a diaper bag or something. With grown kids, I have no idea what she needed to put in there, but she loved her big bags. So one time while in line at the buffet, my mom cleverly thought to herself, "Might as well prepare for breakfast tomorrow," and started filling up her purse with the decorative fruit; bananas, apples, oranges. The lady behind her tapped her shoulder and said, "Um, I don't think you're supposed to do that." And my mom said, "I know," as she put another banana in her bag.
You'll never find my mom in a foul mood. She manages to find humor in all things, and shows it. Her laughter is contagious, and we can't help but laugh just over the fact that she laughs at EVERYTHING. Growing up, we used to make fun of her for it, and tell her she "cackled" all the time. Now, as I watch my home videos and hear her laughter in the background, it brings a huge smile to my face.
She is the most selfless person I know. She loves to shop, but it's a rare day that she brings home something for herself. She has a passion for her grandchildren, and for making other people happy. For a number of years now she's worked just so that she can "shop for the babies." I remember her as the stay-at-home mom who participated in joy school, ran errands, chauffeured us around town, and taught us how to be women. And every now and then she'd take on a job to help pay for something we "needed;" like the time she worked at Target during the Christmas season the year Cabbage Patch Dolls came out. She knew she had to get five, and that it would be impossible. She got a job at the store so that she would know when the shipment was coming in. And there she was that morning, along with a hundred other moms, I'm sure, to get us our beloved dolls. She loaded up her cart and took off for the checkout when another woman yelled at her. "You can't take FIVE!!! We're all trying to get one, too!" My mom just looked at her and said, "I have five daughters at home. Do you really think I can come home with just one or two?" I still remember that Christmas morning. They were all lined up on the couch with our names on them. And none of us could believe we actually got a Cabbage Patch Doll.
My mom often times surprises me with her boldness to do what she wants to do. Our family used to take a yearly (almost) skiing trip up to Utah, and we'd usually stay at the Peppermill (now it's called the Oasis) in Mesquite on the way up. It had like seven pools or something, and we were given the freedom to swim at whichever we wanted. Ah, heaven. We'd spend the day running from one pool to the next, having the time of our lives with no parents telling us what to do. We would eat dinner at the all-you-can-eat buffet, where I'm sure my parents got the most for their money with a family of nine. My mom, at one time, was famous for carrying these HUGE purses. It was like she never got over using a diaper bag or something. With grown kids, I have no idea what she needed to put in there, but she loved her big bags. So one time while in line at the buffet, my mom cleverly thought to herself, "Might as well prepare for breakfast tomorrow," and started filling up her purse with the decorative fruit; bananas, apples, oranges. The lady behind her tapped her shoulder and said, "Um, I don't think you're supposed to do that." And my mom said, "I know," as she put another banana in her bag.
She joined Weight Watchers I think over a year ago, and has since become a lifetime member. I'm not sure of the total amount of weight she's lost now, but she looks better than I've ever seen. Seven kids can do some serious damage to a girls' figure, I'm sure. I'm already losing it, and I'm only on number three! Sorry, mom, for not having a current picture of you looking totally fab! I'm really proud of her for being able to keep the weight off. I know it's hard, but she has managed to change her eating habits and lifestyle, and she seems so happy!
Like my dad, my mom also has a sensitive soul (I didn't stand a chance!). She most often expresses it when talking about the gospel. My mom bore her testimony often, and was a great example of sharing things she learned about the gospel working for her in her life. She would always tell us how much she loved us, and it would always bring us to tears, too. She taught me the importance of sharing your testimony, and that it truly does help you and others to grow. She served as the Young Women's president for most of my life. It seemed as though every time they would get a new presidency, it would last maybe a year or two, and then they'd call her back to it. I can't blame them, though. She was perfect for the job. No one gets teenage girls like my mom.
I hope that through all of our experiences together, I was able to glean enough from her to do a half decent job of raising my own kids. I only wish I would have realized sooner how great she actually is. She deserved so much better than the way we treated her when we were younger. But I want her to know that I see it now, and I cherish her as the greatest mother and friend a girl could ever have. I love you, Mom.
Like my dad, my mom also has a sensitive soul (I didn't stand a chance!). She most often expresses it when talking about the gospel. My mom bore her testimony often, and was a great example of sharing things she learned about the gospel working for her in her life. She would always tell us how much she loved us, and it would always bring us to tears, too. She taught me the importance of sharing your testimony, and that it truly does help you and others to grow. She served as the Young Women's president for most of my life. It seemed as though every time they would get a new presidency, it would last maybe a year or two, and then they'd call her back to it. I can't blame them, though. She was perfect for the job. No one gets teenage girls like my mom.
I hope that through all of our experiences together, I was able to glean enough from her to do a half decent job of raising my own kids. I only wish I would have realized sooner how great she actually is. She deserved so much better than the way we treated her when we were younger. But I want her to know that I see it now, and I cherish her as the greatest mother and friend a girl could ever have. I love you, Mom.
6 comments:
What a cute picture of your mom! It's so true that you don't fully appreciate your parents until you are one yourself.
Anyone who can have such a big family and never be upset is amazing!
Our mom's are very similar. My mom always had extra jobs so she could give us a good Christmas. She loves big bags, and she was Young Womens Pres. for most of my mutual days. She has the biggest heart, and I appreciate your post. It allowed me to sit back and appreciate my mom. You have great parents and you have definatley taken from their example.
Alright, Kim - STOP MAKING ME CRY WITH YOUR POSTS!!! I by the time I finally got through dad's I couldn't even really post a comment. Unlike you and our parents, I sometimes loathe how emotional I am. But I love your reminiscing because it is almost exactly how I remember them. Mom and her big purses (although they are totally back in style now) stealing fruit at the buffet. And, although I really respected her for it, everytime she got up to bear her testimony I was like, "Oh, great, now I'm gonna start crying like a baby." And I did. I guess it wasn't the end of the world.
We are very blessed to have such great parents and family. I think I had probably the happiest childhood of anyone I know and I have them (and you guys too, I guess) to thank for it. We were like a mix of the Brady Brunch and Married with Children!
Your thoughts about your parents are really beautiful! I have a lot of great memories of you and your family growing up, and your parents are a big part of it. Your mom was the best seminary teacher, and she picked me up every day! And your dad taught me to water ski (with the patience only he has). Remember that time he took us on the dingy motor boat, and we had to row back? I could go on...too much to write
Anyway, you are pretty great yourself, and I am so glad we're friends. Thanks for making me laugh with your funny life stories!
Love, Slivy (do I have your parents to thank for that nickname or was that Keri? :)
I enjoyed reading this because I believe at this age in our parents' lives they deserve to hear this stuff - a lot. They've carried us through infancy, terrible twos, teenagehood, and even our financially vulnerable twenties. Now is the time to really get to know our parents while they're still in their right minds, because our kids will one day ask a lot about them and we will feel awful if we don't know the answers. Thanks for sharing, Kim. Miss you guys.
Post a Comment