So it's really real. We're having the baby on Wednesday ... that is, unless there is some cruel twist of fate in our future. The Man and I went in for another amniocentisis today to see if the baby's lungs have matured yet. If they were, we'd have the baby Wednesday. If they weren't, they could do steroids for a few days, and we'd probably still have him by this weekend. I sat on the table and waited for the nurse and my doctor to come in, and I started feeling sick. Great. I REALLY don't want to get sick. I don't know if it was just nerves or what, but I was seriously not looking forward to this.
I was lying down while the nurse was checking for pockets of fluid for the doctor to get a sample from, and the feeling got worse and worse. I asked if I would be able to turn on my side, and she said that was fine. The doctor came in, and she gave him three options of pockets to use. Each one seemed to have some things in the way; the cord, blood vessels, the baby's head. So he told us that sometimes there's no really good spot to safely go in and get the fluid, and in that case he would prefer to just go ahead with the delivery without results from an amnio. Even knowing that that meant there was some risk involved, it was music to my ears.
He let us know that the worst case scenario would be that the baby's lungs aren't fully developed, and that he would need a ventilator to breathe. He said at 37 weeks, those chances are pretty slim, but because our babies develop so slowly, it definitely was a risk. On the other hand, we could wait it out, but it was the doctor's opinion that the risk of me staying pregnant was greater than the risk of the baby not being ready.
I knew immediately how I felt about it, but I leaned over to The Man and asked what he thought. He said he trusted our doctor's judgement, and thought it best to go ahead with delivery. Relief.
I left the office so happy to not have to wait around all day for results. So we go in late Tuesday night, and they will start the induction at 6:00 a.m. Now I have time to clean the bathrooms one more time, get a couple more loads of laundry done, pack a bag for me, the girls, and the new baby, and think of any other last-minute needs before we go in. Oh, this is SO much better for me. I love being able to plan.
So wish us luck. Next post should have pictures of our new and bigger family. Love you all!
6 comments:
Wonderful!! Our prayers are with you all! Wish I could be there to take the girls, but hopefully those bases are covered. You sound SO excited! Me, too! Love you!
I'm so excited that this is finally happening for you!!Yeah!! It'll be great to see pictures and to hear how all is doing. Love you guys!
I will be checking in from Montana. I am excited to see the little guy.
I do have to say I was up at the hospital visiting Lora last night and it is pretty sad to see some of those babies in the NICU on those venilaters (sp). I hope he doesn't have to be on one.
So Hallie is doing good and is only in the well baby nursery and Lora can go down and hold her and feed her. While CJ weighed more then her his lungs weren't developed as much and he got pneumonia because of his underdeveloped lungs and is in the NICU. Lora can't feed him or touch him yet, but he really is doing good.
I know it is totally miserable being pregnant at the end. I hate those last 5 weeks. GOOD LUCK and I am excited to see what he looks like.
HOoray!! So glad you have a light at the end of the tunnel. Looking forward to pictures!
Yay! I Can't wait! Love u and can't wait to see u soon....
Oh, so much to say!!!! It has been too long and there are so many fun posts! A HUGE congrats on your newest addition- he is absolutely darling. I was so surprised at how perfect he looks- he is one good lookin' boy! Also, you look darling in those pics from the party. What a perfect party for little girls! And that cake.... wow!
Love you guys lots and can't wait for more blogs.
Post a Comment