We've been harvesting tomatoes and the occassional strawberry for months now, and it's been so exciting for the girls to check every day to see what has changed out in our garden. Some of the plants didn't make it due to the excessive heat out here, but the tomatoes did okay, the strawberries survived (thanks to the shade of the tomato plants), and the carrots had stems growing bigger every day. Today we decided to finally pull out the carrots to see how well they did. The biggest stalk was almost a foot long, and the rest were each a few inches shorter.
Now that the season for harvesting is over, we're thinking about changes we'd like to make next year; what we can improve on, and what different fruits and vegetables we'd like to plant. I don't know, you take a look and tell me if you think gardening is something I should stick with ...
">
I'm at a loss. What in the heck did we do wrong? We pulled them out and sat there laughing our heads off until we decided to head inside so I could wash them off and we could help ourselves to a healthy snack. A snack, indeed.
6 comments:
ok...it's time to 'fess up. I have been regularly reading your blog through Shott and scawna. After reading this post and laughing til I cried,(which frequently happens when I read the things your girls say ;) I decided to add you to my frequented blogs...hope you don't mind. Oh, and don't worry about the carrot "issue". I am sure you will have better luck next year ;).
Personally I think "baby" carrots are better anyway, yours must be really good...hee, hee, hee!
A few years ago I also got this grand idea to grow a garden. I was growing strawberries, peppers, corn, tomatoes, herbs, etc. For the most part everything turned out but I was most excited about the corn because it's my fav. Anyways long story short the stalk was about 5 feet high and the husks were huge so I was thinking YUMMY! I literally peeled back about 5-6 inches thick of silk to find a piece of corn close to the size of your carrots. I was so upset :( I have yet to figure out what I did wrong. Amanda
Gardens are always a mystery to me. I leave our garden mostly up to Glen. You should have taken pictures of the "fruits" that actually turned out, I would have loved to see the strawberries.
Happy late birthday to Emma! Can't wait to hear all about it.
Fall is coming soon and it makes me want to come visit. Get ready for our visit!!!
Miss ya.
Gardens are always a mystery to me. I leave our garden mostly up to Glen. You should have taken pictures of the "fruits" that actually turned out, I would have loved to see the strawberries.
Happy late birthday to Emma! Can't wait to hear all about it.
Fall is coming soon and it makes me want to come visit. Get ready for our visit!!!
Miss ya.
Hahahahaha those pictures are great. Hey - at least you grew SOMETHING, eh? Way to go!
Post a Comment