The other day while driving home I pulled into a left-hand turn lane behind a big green truck. The girl in the driver's seat opened up the door and waived her arm to signal me around her. Oooh, stuck right in the turning lane. Poor thing. I pulled up next to her, and while waiting for my arrow, I rolled down my window and asked if she needed help. She couldn't have been more than 20 years old. I can only imagine how she was feeling ... stranded. She said no, that her boyfriend just bought this truck from some guy, and it broke down right on the way home. He had driven right back to the guy's house to work it out. (She used a bit of more, shall I say, colorful language than I would, but I was hoping my three copycats in the back didn't hear.) My light turned, and I drove off for home.
Miss Priss watched her as we drove away, confused as to why she wasn't going anywhere. I told her the truck was broken and that she couldn't go until someone could help her move the car.
"Can we help her, mom?"
"No. She has a friend coming back to help her in just a minute."
"Oh. I hope she's going to be okay."
Then Devil Child added her helpful suggestion ...
"Maybe THAT truck can help her, mom," pointing at another truck in front of us.
And Miss Priss replied, "No, that truck doesn't have a hooker."
"A hooker?" Devil Child asked.
"Yeah. Mom, tell her what a hooker is."
Seriously. Three and five. And asking about "hookers."
But in case you were wondering like I was, THIS is what she was talking about. Oh, how I LOVE childhood innocence.
4 comments:
I really really REALLY think you should write a book! Kids make EVERY SINGLE ordinary experience 100 times more memorable eh? Hilarious!!!
Come on "Women" be honest. I know you walk around the house all day talking about hookers! Well maybe not anymore but I sure remember the days when you liked to call all your roommates such names!
Cute story! I think the funniest part about it is what Devil Child said. Everything in their sweet minds have to do with families and it's great!
WE NEED PICTURES!
Kendi -
That nickname I used so lovingly for my friends and sisters has long been gone from my vocab. With little girls that repeat EVERY "bad" word that comes out of my mouth, I have even been trying to stop saying freakin'! I never realized how often I say that.
Just tell her hookers are people who knit with hooks-there is a hooker group right among your midst! Haha, very funny story.
Post a Comment