Sunday, October 19, 2008

Because It Was Time

I'm home from church today with a sick little one, so I figured this would be a good time for me to change my blog. New background, check. New title, check. New picture header ... still can't figure that one out on my own.

In case you were wondering why I changed my blog title, the real answer is because I never really liked the old one to begin with. When I first started this blog, I sat and sat and sat at the computer, staring at the screen, trying to come up with a title that fit for my family and my life at the time. I felt so much pressure to come up with something good, something clever, just something. I had a husband, two little girls, all the basic neccessities of life, and even some spare time. My life was balanced ... sort of. Like everyone else, I had times when I was totally on my game as a wife and mother, and I had times when I felt like things weren't "just right." Hence the 'sort of.'

But just like the song, the times they are a'changing. Life moves on and we happily accept the new seasons in our family. It's two years later, our fourth child is nine weeks away from joining our home, and my spare time has somehow completely disappeared. I'm grateful we still have all the basic neccessities of life ... and then some.

When I was a little girl, I dreamt of how my life would turn out when I was a "grown up." And truthfully, THIS is pretty much what I had imagined. Well, maybe there was a bit more glamour, a few less pounds, and a lot more shopping. Oh, and my family and friends all lived on the same block.

So I've changed my title to HARMON-Y (pun intended), because to me it doesn't signify a perfect life; it's a range from blissful to downright miserable and everything in between. And we all need that entire spectrum in our lives. We need it for experience. We need it to become better people. We need it so that we can learn and grow and achieve our goals.

And all I can say is that I'm so thankful for this life I've been given, with all of it's ups and downs, joys and sorrows, struggles and triumphs. I truly have everthing. And there's no one I'd rather spend my happily ever after with than my husband and best friend, my very own prince charming, and our beautiful family.

It's not our anniversary or anything, but I chose this picture because this was the day that changed the path of my life forever. And it's a decision I've never regretted.

Yes, blonde. I know, I know -- the things we do for the men we love...

19 comments:

Tara said...

I love this post! So true for so many of our lives.

How are the little ones? I miss being in primary with them. I heard the program was great. I would have given anything to be there to hear them belt out those songs.

Ed and Stacey said...

You make me smile!

Anonymous said...

Why wasn't I at your wedding? Thanks for being at mine, you guys are even on my wedding video and if I remember correctly you already had your first born "barely" there with you! How exciting.
It's so fun to see what how your and The Man's story turned out. It was eventful at that. I loved watching it and scheeming with The Man to keep you two together. Love both of you and your so perfect for one another.
I can't believe in just 9 short weeks you'll be a new mom again. Crazy 4 kids, how do you manage?

Anonymous said...

Great post. I feel the same way. Funny how our lives turn out when we work hard doing what we should...I can't wait to see #4. Have you come up with a name? Cole perhaps?

Mindy said...

Great post, Kim! I love the picture. I forgot that you were blonde. Can't wait to meet my new nephew! Have you decided on a name?

amylouwhosews said...

Nice post!I remember some of what Kendi mentioned - and I'm so happy that everything and everyone (mainly, you 2) came together in the end. that is a sweet picture.

kam said...

Nice post! Hope you are feeling good and everything is going well with your pregnancy. I am so excited for you guys!

Shawna said...

You're due in 9 weeks...the 22nd of Dec? or 88 days...the 16th of Jan? Just curious. By the way, I love this post. It made me cry. I I rememeber your wedding day. It was beautiful! Love ya!

Marina said...

Wow. A blonde? You look so different now. So Ty talked you into that? Hmmm...not bad...just different.

Love your post. Great thoughts.

Mandy said...

I like the new look. And the new title. And the cute wedding picture. All of it!

Unknown said...

I love the new title... pun and all. great post!!

Vicki said...

I like your new title, very cute. I wish I had come up with something more pun-ny!

Sylvia and Craig said...

Love your new title! It was so nice to get together with you for lunch-we should do it again soon! And thanks for the apple delivery- we made a pie too, although I am not a homemade crust maker. How did yours turn out?

That wedding picture-can you believe how quickly time goes by! You were gorgeous and still are-hair color doesn't matter!

Lenny and Amanda said...

I enjoyed your post so much! We really missed you yesterday. We decieded that we need to do those trips quarterly..HAHA>>. We will have to see though. You look so very young in your wedding pics!! So beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, it's Kristy, Shawna's younger sister. I was at her blog and decided to visit yours. And I'm so glad I did. I know it's silly, but it's like I was compelled to read it. Your words were beautiful and exactly what I needed. Thank you for that. I hope you don't mind that I read it. You're a wonderful example. ~Kristy~

Stu and Kaycee Fillmore said...

9 weeks will come so quickly! We will be excited to see your new little baby!

africa said...

Love the new title and background.

Maxmomma said...

Great new name...I've been considering changing mine to Life with the Boys, but don't know how to do it! Good work- you'll have to teach me. I hope you are feeling well- not too much longer to go! Thanks for mentioning your gratitude for life's ups and downs, triumphs and struggles. I know a lot of it is hormonal, but I have spent a lot of the morning brooding over the misconceptions people have about members of the church because of Prop 8. It bothers me to have people think I am a hating bigot, when I'd give my life for those people, but more than that- I'd give my life for God and the truths he's given to mankind.

Anyhow, your statement of gratitude took me out of a sad mode into a more adventurous, grateful one. Thanks- and we can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks!

Laurie Mitton said...

I love your hair, yes the things we do for men. I'm trying to grow mine out which will be a task that may not be done. But I'm willing to try. It was longer when we meet, and he would like it that way again. You look so happy and beautiful and haven't changed a bit your just as beautiful even more. How's Jackson? I've been thinking about you all day. Now I have one ?'s will you add me to you list of friends, I know I sound like a begger. But I think so highly of you. You are such a great friend who has always been there for me. I want to thank you for that. Kim you have done so much for me and my family THNAK YOU!!!!