After coming home from the hospital with our new bundle of joy, my bathroom was quickly stocked up with all sorts of extra supplies. You know, the ones we just love to use every month of our girly lives. For me, for about a week or two after having a baby there are no more nice, discreet little packages. Oh, no. I have to use those enormous, horrific woman diapers. Ugghhh. But soon enough those atrocities disappear and I'm left with just a single box of the slightest protection. They're harmless enough looking, so I set them next to the toilet instead of hiding them in a cupboard somewhere.
And then one afternoon while sitting at my vanity trying to make myself presentable, my six-year-old Miss Priss finds herself exploring in my bathroom.
"Mom, what are these?" she asks, holding up a pantyliner.
"Um, those are just for grown up girls. Put it back, please."
"But what do you do with it?"
Crap. Am I seriously going to have to explain this right now??? I've always known this day was coming, but TODAY??? I mean, I've never read a book on what to say, but I've heard all the advice out there about how you're just supposed to keep it simple and answer only the questions they ask. So I'm thinking to myself, ok, don't delve into the depths of the birds and the bees here, lady. Calm down and just answer the question.
"It goes in your pants."
"In your pants? For what? Is it to help hold up your pants or somethin'?"
Grrr. I suppose that would have been a little too easy.
"No. Well, uh, when little girls grow up, their bodies get ready so that when it's time, they can have babies ..."
I went on a little and explained what I felt was appropriate for her. And yes, I used the words 'period' and 'bleed.' I told her how special her little body is, and that being able to have babies is a gift that our Heavenly Father blessed us with.
I didn't get any looks of disgust or confusion, or even the giggles I had expected. She simply accepted the information I gave her, and that was that.
About a week later I was putting some things away in her room. I opened up her desk drawer where she keeps some of her schoolwork and her school supplies. And there I found one of my "supplies." I have no idea if she put it in there before or after our talk, but I promptly removed it and disposed of it. She hardly needs a daily reminder of her future monthly visitor.
Although I feel the explanation I gave went pretty smoothly, I am nowhere near prepared to answer any other questions (like, perhaps, how the baby gets in there in the first place, or what in the world a husband has to do with that). I don't even want to have to repeat this explanation to the next one. So please, if any of you out there find a way for a simple pantiliner to "hold up your pants or somethin'," let me know so that when DC gets curious, that's all I'll have to tell her.
12 comments:
Oh hilarious! I love it.
Too Funny! I just told Alison that they were band-aids and that I had owies from getting the baby out. Yeah. but she was only 2. 2 year olds understand how important band-aids are.
ok, here's the deal. You get the talk all ready and if it goes well, write it up for me and send it my way.....oh, I'm so not up for this?!?!
Oh my gosh! That's so funny! I think you should start thinking about how your going to give "the TALK" to DC cause you know she will be asking all the questions that Miss Priss didn't!
So much fun! When I had the talk with Alex, I was so proud of myself cuz I thought it went really well. I'm looking forward to our future talks.
But she's sooo young. Really cute. Boys are so different from girls.
Kim, I don't know how to contact you other than this way, but our family blog is http://palmerjourneys.blogspot.com/
Come visit us!
You are such a nice mom to answer their questions! I just ignore them or change the subject. If that doesn't work, I just say "That's the way Heavenly Father made it". That works for a lot of "Why" questions.
Yikes.....this is just one of the many reasons I want my kids to stay little!
Can't wait to hear everyone's response as all of us could use help in this area!
Well, try giving that talk to boys. That's even more awkward. All my boys have asked at one point or another, and they always think it is gross. Go figure.
Hey-did you ever get our package?
email me at sarahcgarner@gmail.com
HA! Funny stuff!! You handled it well I would say. You've got me scared to death though for the inevitable chat with my girls that apparently comes sooner than I think. Thanks ALOT ;)
I just had that same talk with Taylor!! I still have the heebie jeebies. Simple answers only spurred more questions.....I have no idea how I am going to raise 3 girls!!
I had to explain it to Audrey at one point. It went fine, but was a little strange to tell someone so little! Oh, the fun times we have with our kids.
Post a Comment