Friday, August 04, 2006

Adventures in Laundry ... Starring Miss Priss

Yes, I know, you all thought this day would never come, but I am back, and I have missed you all!!! A week in San Diego visiting the family was just what I needed. We had a great trip. Pictures and a post will follow shortly since I packed myself and therefore ended up without a camera. Wonderful. Luckily other family members were there to make up for my lacking picture-taking capabilities. Now we just have to wait for them to be sent to me (hint, hint).

A week-long vacation means only one thing when you return back to your home-sweet-home ... LAUNDRY. Loads and loads of laundry. How is it that when you get back from vacation there seems to be twice the laundry as in a normal week at home? Murphy's law, I guess.

This morning as I hauled armfuls of sheets and towels and baskets of dirty clothes down the stairs to the laundry room, Miss Priss followed along asking, "Whatcha doin', Mommy?"

"Just getting the laundry done."

"Why?"

"So we can have clean clothes to wear. Everything is dirty."

"Can I help?"

"Of course."

I love this age. The age where she thinks everything Mom does is so interesting. And she wants to do it all with you, or for you. She thinks it's so much fun to help dust, unload the dishwasher, fold clothes, and cook dinner. The age where if you let her help, all your chores take ten times longer than if you were to do them yourself. Oh, wait. That's right, TEN. TIMES. LONGER. I hate this age.

But knowing that it will help her in her quest to be an independent, responsible and capable young human being, I allow her to help.

"This is our pile for all the bed sheets and pillow cases. This is the pile for all the clothes that are only white. This is the pile for all our jeans and dark clothes. This is the pile for all the colored clothes. This is the pile for the towels. Do you think you can get the clothes in the right piles?"

"Yep!"

My daughter and I spend the next few minutes turning laundry into a fun game, and I pretend it's absolutely hysterical when she puts something in the wrong pile. She's loving every minute of it. Then she picks up a piece of clothing that The Man must have worn outside while working on our backyard in 110-degree weather.

"Mommy, what's this?"

"Just a dirty shirt of Daddy's. Which pile do you think it goes in?"

"I can't tell. This is too stinky. I can't do this."

She scoots by me and runs out to the family room to join Devil Child who is enjoying "Elmo in Grouchland." I'm left to my own devices to finish up the sorting and I think, "Why can't I get out of doing the laundry every time something is too stinky?"

Guess my mom was always right, life's just not fair.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are back! I was missing your posts like crazy.
That is hilarious! Stinky daddy clothes. Love it! We have alot of those around here too. I guess it shows they are hard workers, right?
I am excited to see pictures from your getaway!
I want to hear all about it. Did you get to see the Celtic women?
Did Ty go with you?

Shawna said...

I'm so glad you had a great time in San Diego. I also missed your posts. Even if the "guys" aren't working outside their stuff can stink. Scott's very good at doing that! Boy is it lovely! Glad you're back, can't wait to see some pics.

Anonymous said...

It is so nice to have you back! Every post makes me smile and think- I know just what she is talking about! We'll have to get you published.:)

Karen said...

I,too, missed your posts - was trying to stay calm but was beginning to worry that something was wrong! This almost keeps us all too close! I am now a blog junkie!
Glad you had a vacation in your ol' stompin' grounds!

Anonymous said...

I was just looking at this picture again and looking at Emma close. She is all cross eyed trying to hold her nose. It's funny how un-cordinated they are and they how quickly they catch on! Anyway just had to share that with you. (like I am sure you didn't notice).