We had been planning the trip down with my mom and dad ever since we found out that the Celtic Woman concert would be right next to the yacht club they belong to. My dad said there was a great spot where we could boat over to and see the stage right from the water. And the best part: We didn't have to pay $95 a piece to enjoy it all!!! Unfortunately The Man doesn't get to take any time off yet (started a new job a couple months ago), so it was just me and the girls. And, true to form, Miss Priss had a fever the night before we were to leave. Then Devil Child got hers in the morning. I guess they didn't want to break their perfect record of being sick EVERY SINGLE STINKIN' TIME we go stay with my sister. She's got three kids of her own. Like she doesn't deal with sickness enough. But she's a good sport, and told us to come anyway; that she wouldn't care if her kids caught it.
So off we drove down to San Diego. The drive was pretty good, thanks to the inventors of the portable dvd player and Nite Time cold medicine for kids. (Whoever you are, I will praise you till the end of my days!) After a couple viewings each of Strawberry Shortcake Dress Up Days and Barbie in Mermaidia, and most of the way through Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the original, of course. I can't believe you even had to ask. For some reason Miss Priss has chosen this as one of her favs), we were there. The girls were ecstatic to get out of the car, and I was very grateful for a non-gas station bathroom. And lucky for me, we were in time for dinner at the Barbeque Pit. Yum!!! My brother-in-law's family owns and operates it, and I eat there just about once every day I'm down. (Todd, I'll never stop asking you to open one here.)

The concert was fabulous! These girls have THE most amazing voices I have ever heard. Literally. I loved it. And if they are ever in my city again, I will pay for tickets and actually go. I just love their music. My dad's favorite is the violin player. I won't even attempt to spell her name without having it in front of me. They're all Irish, and hers is a VERY Irish name. She's so pretty (just one of the reasons dad likes her), and she's so completely entertaining (the reason I like her). It takes an amazing amount of talent to play the way she does, and still be able to dance and jump around the stage and flip her hair around like she does. It's really something to watch. They had a lot of new songs that I've never heard, so I eagerly went into Humphrey's By the Bay after the show was over to see if they had a new album. To my dismay, nothing will be out until Christmas. So if any of you are looking for a great Christmas gift for me this year, that would be it.
The rest of the trip was just icing on the cake for me. That was the big thing I went down for. But it also just happened to be a weekend when other family members were coming down, so my oldest sister decided to have a family birthday party for her oldest daughter while we were all down there. We had a pool party at the Browning's house, and then a neighbor of theirs brought his horse over for everyone to ride. He also had a little pony that pulled a buggy that the kids rode on. These are the pictures I'm waiting on. I'll post them if I ever get them. It was so much fun for everyone! The kids absolutely LOVED the horse. And it was so cute to watch them as the horse would take off and they looked like they were about to fall. The looks on their faces were priceless. But it only took a second or two for them to start enjoying the ride. What a happy birthday it was for Haley.
We had picked out some jewelry for her gift, and when she opened it she said, "Mom, I got some bling!" It cracked me up. I wish I got to see them more. They are all such cute girls.
The rest of the trip was a lot of relaxin' and shoppin'. We did take the girls to the zoo with my dad one day, but didn't end up staying long. A few hours there feels like all day - there's so much walking to do! But it was a fun day, and the kids love the animals. My dad is such a good sport to just pick up and go do whatever we want to do with the kids. He's such a good grandpa. We all love him so much.
We are still sweatin' away here in this heat. The monsoons should be bringing in some great lightning storms. We always enjoy those during the summer. Hope you are all healthy and happy. We miss you all and are thankful for the chance we have to stay a little bit closer to you through these blogs.
5 comments:
I can't wait to see the pictures. How fun is that to have family live somewhere fun.
Too bad "The Man" had to stay home!
Woman, I can't tell you what a trip it is to read your blogs. I feel like I know you in ways I had no clue- you would be surpised how similar our thought processes are. I love that you went home to teach Miss Priss all those details before kindergarten! I was reading to Max the first day we came home from the hospital and was disturbed that he wasn't looking at the pictures! (A little research on visual development helped clear up that worry). I wish so much that we lived closer, but will happily take these glimpses into the life of y'all. We love you!
FUN! I laughed out loud reading about the bling! Your family is great and I bet they loved spending time with you and the girls.
Your trip sounded great. Your dad is a good man, he reminds me of my dad in a way. Isn't sad that those great times speed by. I can't wait to see your pictures!
I am still waiting for your email address to send those pictures to! I would never forget to send them. Kelly, Keri and dad had them weeks ago.....Send me an address that can hold them!
Post a Comment