Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Those Darn Letters!


I've discovered that I've developed in my child a well-known bad habit that all kindergarten teachers despise. Miss Priss writes in ALL CAPS!!! I thought it was so wonderful when she could recognize all the letters in the alphabet. Then came knowing all the letters in her name. Then she could actually write her name. She was on her way to a pulitzer, I was sure.

I had a discussion with a teacher friend of mine a few months ago where we talked about what info they like the kids to know already when they enter the wonderful world of kindergarten. After making my mental list of the things I would immediately run home and teach my toddler, she mentioned a few of the things they hate (with a passion, in her opinion). Number one on her list, writing their names in all capital letters. Yikes!

I was determined to rid my beautiful, intelligent, darling daughter of such a nasty habit. And I just knew I could do it on my own. We had a little discussion about "big" A and "little" a, and how when you write your name, the first letter is big and the rest are little. We practiced a few times on paper until I realized our little talk didn't really make a whole lot of sense to her.

I made flashcards, and we went over them until every time I pulled them out I heard, "Oh, I'm soooo tired of this!" My plan wasn't working. I found a reading/writing/math kit at one of my all time favorite stores (CostCo), and picked it up for her. As I opened it and read through the introduction and list of contents, I found I may have jumped the gun a little. It was for first-graders. But hey, who am I to assume my daughter isn't at that level. After all, she does have my genes.

It only took a minute or two into reading the book and I had to admit ... she's smart, but not that smart. So we've taken out the dry erase alphabet page and pen, and packed the rest away. Maybe for next year.


But I'll tell you, if for nothing else, it was a great purchase just to help her with her upper/lowercase letters. What can I say? This girl's bound to be a genious.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is so cute. I know alot of people tell you that she looks like you but for some reason when I see her I totally see her dad.
She is very smart. This encouraged me to go work with Carter a little. DANG!

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!!! Finally, someone thinks my daughter doesn't look like a product of "The Woman" and... well, "The Mail Man"!!! Thanks Kendi! I needed that.

By the way...those are MY GENES too, Honey.

- "The Man"

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Karen said...

As a former kindergarten and 1st grade teacher I "THANK YOU!" Your friend was absolutely right! There's nothing harder than changing how a child has learned to write her name and the way she holds her pencil! Good for you!

Shawna said...

Miss Priss is a very smart girl! She's such a cutie!!

Anonymous said...

Hello! New update PLEASE!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Beautiful family and yes they look exactly like you, the picture of Miss Priss is a mirror image of you! Your blogs made me laugh out loud, your little one yells "YOU" and my neice Alexis yells, "Go WAY". Baby story's are so much fun, they can go on and on.