Whew! That was a close one. But problem solved, and pretty easily. Thanks to everyone for looking into this to help me. When I logged on yesterday to post, all I could see when I went to view my blog was a pink screen. I thought it was a fluke, or that maybe there was too much traffic at that time, causing some delays or difficulties. So I waited an hour or so and tried again. Same pink screen. Then I started to get worried. I tried again another hour later and, you guessed it, same thing. AAAAHHH!!! My blog disappeared! I typed in a couple links I knew by heart, and got to your blogs with no problem. So then I knew mine was in trouble.
I emailed Blogger this morning and told them my blog was gone, and asked if they could help. Not too long after I received an email with a couple of links to some information on fixing "broken" blogs. It also suggested that if I could get to my dashboard (which I could) but not to my blog, to try republishing the blog. I tried that and ... voila! It worked!!! I'm back up and running.
Now, for the second part of my inquiry to Blogger. I asked them if there was a way to backup our blogs to prevent completely losing them, and if there's a way to get a hard copy of them. Haven't heard back from Blogger on that yet, but a couple people have suggested some alternatives to that problem. We could write our posts first in something like Word, where we can save them, and then copy and paste them onto Blogger. In that case we would have our text, but not the pictures (which most times is what really makes the blog). But text without pictures is far better than nothing at all; right? Or, I was told that after you write your post you have the option of emailing it. So you could email it to yourself to have a hard copy. And last, there is probably a way to burn it onto a cd, in which case you would have the entire thing, pictures and all. But honestly, how often would we really do that? After every post? I don't know about you all, but I don't want to waste all those cd's by burning a new one everyday.
If Blogger comes up with a better suggestion, I'll let you all know. In the meantime, do whatever works best for you to keep a copy. What a shame it would be for any of us to lose it all.
5 comments:
Once a month, I print my blogs from the previous month. They're a supplement to my personal journals. (I find I write better when I know someone might actually read it.)
I'm glad your blog's ok!
I do the same thing. I have a "Blog" journal and I print it off every month. It keeps the pictures and everything! Sorry this happened to you Kim, but it looks like everything worked out!!
I, too, have copied all your blogs for a hard copy of it all. I highlighted each one separetely and got pictures and all. I thought it was a nice family history, of a sort. Glad yours is back up, Kim! I missed you!
Let me know what blogger says about archiving the blog. I will be interested to know. I am also very glad that you are back up. Hey did you pick a pink screen or did you program it to be pink?
Hey Kim,
Ok, so I'm loving the blog, but I have one problem. How do you add pictures? I've read everything in the help section and at first it all seemed so easy. I can get all the way to uploading my images (or so it says) then it says to change/edit and post, this is where I'm having trouble. I know my pictures are there somewhere but where?? How do I get them to my page? Any help would be great!
Also, I don't have a current e-mail address for you.
Oh, and thanks again for the inspiration.
Melanie
Post a Comment