Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Can I Get a Drum Roll, Please


It was the sterotypical trip to the doctor's office. Miss Priss was in school and I found a friend at home to watch Devil Child so there would be no distractions. The Man left work and met me at the doctor's office at quarter after noon, so we would be there a few minutes early because, you never know, there could be a slight chance they might be taking people in early. Early? What was I thinking? We signed in and sat down. Half an hour goes by. We'll be in any time now. Everyone who was in the room before us has been taken back. We're next. Nope. People who started coming in AFTER us are being taken back. What the? We hear an overhead page for my doctor letting him know that the hospital is on the phone for him. Wonderful. What does that mean? Is he going to have to leave NOW to deliver a baby or something? An hour and a half later I told them I couldn't hold it anymore, and if they needed a "sample," I was going to have to give it now. They allowed me back to use the restroom, and then I took my seat again.

A few minutes later they called my name, and we went in the back. First stop, the dreaded scale, of course. Halleluyah, not even one extra pound for all the junk and Halloween candy I've been living on for the last four weeks. Whew!!! I guess the gym is doing some good. Blood pressure, normal, and back to the ultrasound room. The nurse came in first to get started checking things out before the doctor could get in. I immediately looked at the nurse and asked, "Are you going to be able to tell what it is today?" She said she'd try. Then I turned to The Man and said, "Honey, please don't cry if it's a girl, okay?" He assured me he wouldn't.

After some poking and prodding, we got a nice view of our little baby's "goods." And we could see right away. I was in shock, and The Man was up out of his seat. "Are you serious? Oh, my gosh! I can't believe it! Finally! Whoo Hoo!!!"
The nurse said someone would be in to confirm, but she was pretty sure it was a boy. There was no denying there was "something" there. Isn't it grand how we publicly display the most private parts of our fetus? The Man took the pictures to work to show EVERYONE, and it now hangs up on our refrigerator for all to see. Poor little guy. I guess your privacy only matters once you're here.


So we're having a boy, and we're ecstatic. In the words of The Man, "It's like being pregnant again for the first time!" I'll admit, I'm not AS excited as he is, but it is going to be so great to have a son. I'm excited for all the new things I've never gotten to experience, having two girls. I can't wait for the times when our little boy and his daddy get to go camping on Father & Son outings, or to see the two of them outside playing baseball or football. I've always said there's a special bond between a daddy and his little girl, but there's also just something about a father and his son. How grateful I am that we are going to get to experience both.

Miss Priss was a little disappointed when we gave her the news that we could NOT name this baby Butterfly Flower. I didn't realize how much she had her heart set on that one. So after breaking it to her that we had to pick a name for a BOY, she thought for a minute and then said, "I know! Dash! Dash is a boy's name. Just like on The Incredibles!" Okay. Definitely a name to think about. Any other suggestions?

The sickness is gone, the belly is here, the feet are already swelling off and on, and it's all totally worth it. I'd do it all a million times over if I had to, just for the chance for these tiny, sweet spirits to come bless our home. What an amazing gift we have been given. We are so blessed.

10 comments:

Shawna said...

What wondeful news! A boy for Miss Priss and Devil Child to tourment. It might just be the other way around. That is AWESOME!!

Anonymous said...

How AWESOME!!! Yeah for you guys. As much as The Man will enjoy the little boy, I promise you that you will too. Honestly if we were to have another I think I would want a boy. As hard as Carter has been I just think boys are so funny. I love dressing boys too. You may think that is crazy but dressing boy babies is a blast. I love their little cords with their little button up dress shirts. OH so fun!!!
Great news! Now I think you are planning on stealing my boy name right? Just kidding, but I do think we both like the same boy name or did at one time at least.
I still must call you, we have a lot of catching up to do.
Congratulations.
Oh is the baby healthy too?
good job on not gaining any weight. LUCKY! I got on the scale this morning and gained 3 pounds in less than a week and I am not even prego...aahhhhh!

Karen said...

Take comfort - not only is there something special about a daddy-daughter relationship and a father-son relationship -- take it from one who knows - there is a very special relationship between mother and son!!
CONGRATULATIONS!

Anonymous said...

Oh and good job Ty on saying you wouldn't cry if it was another girl. When I had one of my ultrasounds the lady told me that many men would get up and leave the room after finding out it wasn't a boy. SAD HUH? no pathetic!

Amy A. said...

Congrats big sis! I can't believe it - first Kelly and now you! We are finally starting to catch up with the boys in our family! How exciting. I can't wait to hear the names you are thinking of. When is your due date again?

Melanie said...

I'm so happy for you. I love little boys. I was wondering what Kelly was having but after reading Amy's comment, I'll guess she's having a boy too. That will be so fun for you guys. Boys are the best. Just watch out, they come equipped with a squirter, and they know how to use it.

Mindy said...

That's great news! I love having both a girl and boys. They are so different and rewarding in different ways. I'm happy for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Kim,
Congratulations!! That is so exciting. I personally like the name Dash.

Miguel said...

Heard this from The-Man-who-deserves-The-Boy himself. Congratulations! And might I suggest you put a tint of blue in your page in honor of The Boy? Golly that page is pink, I'm just not used to it! he he

My suggested name is Oprah Tyler. Just kidding. How about Leonardo Da Tyler? Well, I really like the middle name Tyler!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow-You guys may actually have to toddler proof your house now with doorknob covers and refrigerator locks and stuff :) At least keep the laptop put away, right, we wouldn't want to lose more keys. Congratulations! Boys are indeed so fun and busy, busy, busy! James was Dash for Halloween, and insists on being called that whenever the mask goes on--I think it is a very strong name for a boy! Miss Priss may be on to something there. Glad to hear all is going well with your pregnancy!

Sylvia