Monday, August 20, 2007

And the Award Goes To ...

Last weekend was our first annual family reunion campout with our extended family on The Man's side. Since we are the only "out-of-towners," naturally we went camping up in the Utah mountains. Now, when asked the question, "Do you like camping?" I'll be the first to say, "Oh, yeah! Who-hoo, we LOVE to camp!" And then after a few minutes I'll decide I should let you know, "Um, but I don't really like being dirty. And I don't really like my kids being dirty, either. Will there be a toilet, um, that flushes? And possibly a (dare I ask) shower?" Of course, not having these lovely amenities will not keep me from a camping trip, but oh, how I LOVE flushing toilets.

So last Thursday we were off; car loaded to the hilt (who knew it would take about half of our household belongings just to camp for one weekend?), kids buckled in and watching a movie, The Man jammin' to his iPod, and me reading Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix - yes, I'm two and a half books behind the rest of the world. But hey, I'm reading them. Get off my back.

We arrive in the middle of the night to Grandma Darlin' and Grandpa's house to catch a few winks before we're off the next morning out to, uh, wherever it was we went camping. The place was beautiful. A nice open campsite with a creek running through the back. It was pretty hot during the day, so the creek was awesome to have for the kids (and adults) to play in and cool off. The nights were cold, but since I'm the family wuss, no one else seemed to mind. Plus, I made sure to bring plenty of snuggly clothes for the chitlens for nighttime, so I wasn't too worried about them.

The kids had a blast playing with all their cousins that they don't see nearly enough. Friday night we had a great little show where each of the families shared some kind of skit, act or game with everyone. Not everyone stayed over Saturday night, but for those that did, we had a great time staying up late and talking by our "campfire" after the kiddos went to sleep.

So to everyone who helped make our camping trip fun, delicious and memorable, we're giving out some awards to thank you all for the efforts you put in.

The award for making my camping trip pleasant by providing a camper with a flushing toilet, a shower to hose of my filthy kids, and a warm (mostly) bed at night for my 4-month-old baby and me .... Grandpa and Grandma Darlin'

The award for the best dutch oven banana crumble ever ... Shawna!!!

The award for a face so dirty you looked like a chimney sweep ... it's a tie between Christian and Little E!!!

The award for killing the most moths so they wouldn't fly at my neck and make me throw ANOTHER bottle of water on my loving husband and tick him off again ... Spencer!!!

The award for staying such a short amount of time that you can't even consider it "camping" (but we're so glad you came anyway) ... Glenn, Kristen and Max!!!

The award for brilliantly putting together a bunch of lanters to form our make-shift campfire (since we weren't allowed to have a real one) ... Grandpa!!!

The award for the greatest bathroom tent that took 4 hours to set up just so that no one would use it all weekend ... Brett and Mike!!!

The award for the best (or worst, depending on how you look at it) whoopin' of a misbehaving child ... ME!!! Sorry to my little Devil Child, but sometimes you make mommy just LOSE IT!!!

The award for providing the most super fun activity that will most likely cost my family thousands of dollars in the future because now we HAVE to have a four-wheeler ... Scott and Shawna!!!

The award for the scariest real-life ghost story where your grandma basically told you she was going to hell instead of heaven ... Rheina!!!

The award for making sure that Devil Child wouldn't be the ONLY one up screaming and crying multiple times in the middle of the night ... Brett and family!!!! (Thanks, Little E, you always got my back)

The award for the most talking ... Jessica!!! (She even beat out Miss Priss - and that's sayin' something!)

The award for the best kid game in the wild (nature bingo) ... Schmindy!!!

And last but not least, the award for the best kids-say-the-darndest-things-story, and the beginning of a lifelong tradition of asking someone who is sick or just mean if they have a "rope in their bum" ... Me and Miss Priss!!!

***Sorry to those of you who missed out on Saturday night stories around the campfire and have no clue what I'm talking about. Those who were there are now laughing hysterically again. I'll fill you in next time we get together.***

Anyway, it was fun, it was rough, it was dirty, and I ate too much junk. Ah, I do love camping. So now the question is ... Will there be a SECOND annual family campout? Only time will tell.



7 comments:

Kim said...

I have lots more pictures, but for some reason blogger won't let me post them. Grrr.

If anyone objects to their names being used in the awards, just let me know and I'll either come up with a nickname for you or take you out completely. I won't be offended. I hope you aren't.

Love you all!

Shawna said...

This was one the funniest posts yet! Scott and I loved reading this and do not mind that you used our names. You guys rock and thanks for styaing up there with us through Sunday, it really was fun. We love you guys.

TYEDART said...

Where's MY award???? Sheesh! Great post Honey. That was pretty funny.

Kim said...

Sorry, honey. I forgot the winner of the award for being the stinkiest person to still be totally hot. It was TOTALLY you!!!

Mindy said...

You are hilarious! I'm glad my kid screaming in the night was good for something. :) It was great to spend time with you guys.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun time was had by all.
Sure wish we could have seen you and your cute family. Next time, if I don't come your way first.
Now we need more pictures of YOU!

Maxmomma said...

This was great! We're sorry we missed Sat, but... our storage facility just loves to impede our good times.

Though I guarantee that if we had stayed, there would have DEFINITELY been three children up and screaming throughout the night.

It is good to see you get an award for the best child whoopin'- I worry that my child is the only one who gets the occasional whoopin from his mother!

Can't wait for round two on the campin' reunion.