The waiting was the hardest part. We've been waiting for a month to get some answers. I find it interesting that even a positive diagnosis of CP would be better than just not knowing. Our little man went to see a neurologist on Monday of this week. And it went very well. She says he has mild cerebral palsy. Mild meaning that it only affects his legs. So mild, in fact, that she didn't even want to write down an official diagnosis yet. She feels that with the right physical therapy, there could be absolutely no signs or symptoms of cp in the very near future. If she diagnosed him this soon, it would permanenty be on his medical records, which could cause some issues in his future; such as obtaining life insurance or medical treatment with a pre-existing condition.
She went into detail on the different parts of the brain, which part could have been damaged while he was in utero, which part could have been damaged during or shortly after birth, and what happens to the child's body, physically, when each part is damaged. She suspects the trauma occurred before he was even born, possibly due to my kidney disease, which would mean the inner part of his brain was damaged. She said typically that inner damage manifests itself in low or high muscle tone in the legs only. This type of damage usually does not affect the arms, speech, ability to eat and use their tongues.
As glad as I am to see that his development is fine in all areas except his legs, I was not so quick to blame my health. After all, he was not even breathing when he was born. It took a couple of minutes (as close as I can recall), before the doctor and nurses were able to get him to breath on his own. And we were never even given a reason for the complications. Call it naivity, call it stupidity, call it what you want, but I never even asked. Once they told me my baby was okay, I was just thrilled to be able to take him home. Maybe I should let it go, but just maybe I shouldn't. It's bothering me now not knowing if something went wrong during delivery. Someone suggested contacting the hospital and getting a copy of the birth report. I suppose that's the best place to start.
So we are beginning therapy with Early Intervetion (an educational physical therapy program that teaches parents and family members how to work with the child), and we will also be seeing a regular physical therapist, who will do more of the hands-on treatment with him. I have no doubts that he'll be walking in no time.
His neurologist wants to give him 4 months with the physical therapy, and then she will reevaluate. If, by chance, he hasn't shown the progress she wants to see, she will then give an official diagnosis, and we will schedule an MRI to find out exactly which part of the brain is damaged.
I again want to thank all of you who have called to check on us, emailed us, and have been praying for us. It is faith and prayers that have gotten me through this last month. And it is faith and prayers that will continue to sustain us until his next visit, when we find out if we will have to do an MRI. So until then I'll be holding my breath. But I don't really think I'll have to.
(This next part is more for my own purposes of having a record than for anyone reading...)
The month of May was nothing short of MIRACULOUS for Mini Man. In one short month he ...
started to crawl
learned to clap his hands together
began to point at things and people
learned to say dada and mama -- and mean it
learned to sign "more" and "all done" when eating
is able to hold on to the bathtub and couch without falling over
And on June 1st, for the first time, he pulled himself up to stand! He is still on his tippy-toes when he stands up. That is something we will be working on every day.
7 comments:
Wow, I'm so glad you finally have some answers. I've been waiting, and waiting for this post. Therapy will do wonders, it did for us. Pulling up is a great achievement, I'm sure he'll be walking in no time. Good luck with everything and please keep us posted. (I need some new pictures of the little guy...POST!)
Okay, why didn't I know about this?! I'm your companion for heaven's sake!
Anyway, one part of your post concerned me and it has to do with finding answers to "why." My advice: don't worry about that. Knowing will not change anything. Let it go. I know that sounds easy for me to say, but honestly I do understand a little bit (Kela). Spend your time and energy on things that you can control, like the therapy and treatment. Researching the "whys" aren't really that significant, especially if you're going to have the temptation to blame yourself. It's NOT your fault, even if you did have kidney disease while you were pregnant. Please don't do that to yourself. Seriously, don't go down that road.
If you want to talk, call me. I'll be thinking about you.
Thanks for the update, I've also been waiting for some news. I should have called (I've had plenty of time on my hands). I hope all goes well with the therapy. I also agree with the last comment on the "why's", It's not going to change what has already happened. By the way, he is such a cute little guy.
This is good news, really good, considering.
What wonderful news considering the circumstances. You are and will always be in our prayers. It's such a blessing to see small miracles along the path of our trials! We love you guys!
whoa! Talk about answers and craziness. I am so excited to hear of all his accomplishments too. You are such a tough mama! Rock on girl!
Post a Comment