Saturday, September 06, 2008

The Sad Truth

Not too long ago I was informed by The Man that we should no longer eat at McDonald's. No, it's not because we're trying to eat healthier, and it's not because we had a bad experience there or found a bug or a fingernail in our food. It's because we have recently learned that McDonald's ACTIVELY supports gay marriage.

That's right, this family-friendly institution has decided to put it's name and it's money at the forefront of the fight to oppose the sacred institution of marriage. I'm not one to pass along many emails or warnings (at least not before checking snopes), so you can believe me when I tell you that I've done my research. You can do your own, and I encourage you to do so. I also encourage you to spread the word.

I am not motivated by hate, as some of the articles I've read imply. But I whole-heartedly believe that "Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God," and that men and women have divine roles in our families.

One person can make a difference. And that difference is made when that one person tells another person, who tells another, until we've all heard. There are many other fast food options that offer similar menus (and not surprisingly better quality), so I ask that we all make the effort to give them a try. I do not intend to stand by and continue to frequent a business that uses my dollars to buy their position on the board of the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.

So Wendy's, Burger King, and especially In-N-Out, here we come!!!

I will now step down from my soapbox. Thank you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Be careful on making statements about who YOU think God might judge

Elder Hinrichsen said...

Life is too short NOT to stand up for what we believe in. Thanks for passing on the info.

Unknown said...

So wasn't aware of that! I don't care for McDonalds much as it is. Once in a blue moon I crave it, but this definitely makes me rethink those cravings! Thanks for the post!

Marina said...

Why doesn't "anonymous" speak their name, huh?

Thanks for the heads up! You spoke well when you talked about not wanting to throw your money at an institution that would use it for political purposes that you do not agree with. There's nothing wrong for not wanting to support that. In my opinion, you're un-American if you do not take a stand on what you believe. Way to go for taking your stand!!!!

Anonymous said...

Truth is I have know idea who this family is. I stumbled this blog after reading a friends blog, I do however believe that to each its own. Life is too short to not to be able to love who ever the heart loves. Please understand that as a member I am conflicted with this particular issue (hence anonymous, b/c of fear of others judgement) and I have prayed long and hard about this and His anwser to me was to love those around me without judgement. What MY Heaveny Father has taught me is equality. So please don't judge me as well.
I'm just a member in Utah trying to spread more tolerance in the world.

P.S. I don't know you but please know that I don't judge your opinion, belief or passion in what YOU believe in.

Kim said...

To anonymous,
I want you to know that I am sorry for your struggles. Although I don't know who you are, I DO know others who have faced the same challenge as members of our faith. I don't presume it to be an easy thing to deal with, but that does not change my personal belief on right and wrong. I strongly admire those who deal with homosexual feelings but do what they can to fight against it because they want to follow God's teachings and have been raised with the morals and values I was raised with.

I have known some who have chosen to follow those feelings, and I have known some who have chosen to live their lives alone simply because they know in their hearts that the feelings they have are wrong in the eyes of the Lord. And I have loved them all. I am sad for them and the challenges they face. We all face trials in this life, and the best we can do is to look to OUR Heavenly Father and ask him for help and guidance to overcome and to learn WHY we were given our particular trials. It sounds like you try to do that since you mentioned that you've prayed long and hard about this. I hope that you are not done praying long and hard about it.

I still stand by everything I said, and I will continue to fight openly and honestly about the issue of gay marriage. My choice to "ban" McDonald's is for exactly the reason I stated; so that my own, personal money does not aide in their support of homosexuality. Like you, I was also taught not to judge others, for that is how I would be judged. I will leave that to God.

If my words or opinions offend or upset you, please feel free to not stumble upon my blog again.

Mandy said...

That is crazy!

Yes, everyone has their own opinion and that is what makes this world great! I myself am not gay, but know and love people who are. Thanks for your post!

Marina said...

Okay, I see some feathers have been ruffled here...

Let me just say that I am WELL acquanted with this issue. In my very own family I have been dealing with four homosexuals: my husband's brother, my husband's uncle, and two personal cousins. The issue here is not whether we should love or judge the person. It's whether or not we should give money to support gay rights. Two VERY different subjects! As members we DO proclaim the act to be wrong so there is no standing the fence on that. We love the sinner, but don't condone the action. It's like if you had a family member who did drugs. You love them, but do not support their habit. I try to look at it like this: in genetics someone may have the tendency to be an alcoholic, their DNA may make them struggle with their actions. HOWEVER, they do choose whether or not they act on their tendencies. Alcoholism is manageable and overcomeable. The same is true for homosexuality. They may have tendencies, but it is still a choice. It may be a hard choice, but, nonetheless, still a choice. We each have tailor-made challenges that we have to overcome.

There is no doubt that I LOVE my family who struggle with this tendency or addiction. I don't judge them. As I also love my family who struggle with pornography, drugs, adultery, or any other sin. I have my own sins so I do not judge them for their weaknesses. They have to work out their salvation as do I. But, we are required to judge right from wrong so we can make wise choices and righteous judgements. God says homosexuality is wrong. Period. I will not support its progression either.

Mary McDonald said...

I'm "The Wolfepack"'s sister and I totally agree with what "The Woman" and "The Wolfepack" had to say! Great response...

I love the line "feel free to NOT stumble upon my blog again." HILARIOUS!

I personally, applaud y'all for having the strength to stand up for y'alls convictions. I have my own weaknesses to deal with, so I don't look down on anyone either. One of those weaknesses happens to be McDonald's french fries!!! I love them, so I don't think I'm strong enough to stand up for my own convictions.

I suppose I could always hang out at McDonalds and ask people "Are you going to finish those fries!?" Or steal the fries from the little kids playing in the play area. They never finish them anyway. LOL

This is a big issue and I thank Marina for inviting me to be taught, enlightened, & entertained...

And for the record Anonymous, I don't believe anyone on the blog was "judging" until you spoke up...

Sincerely,
"Thunder Thighs" (Man they have the best fries!)

kam said...

THANK YOU- for standing up for your convictions!