Thursday, September 10, 2009

Get Up and Go

Most mornings I wake to the sounds from a baby monitor ... sometimes it's crying, sometimes it's cooing, sometimes it's Mini Man yelling at his baby brother to "BE QUIET!!!" Yes, I set the alarm for 7:00 am, but I rarely get the chance to let it sound on its own. I climb out of bed and head to the boys' room. Mini Man is always happy to see me open the door, and he runs out to the toy room. And my cute little Bug gets even the slightest glimpse of me and begins to shake with excitment. I see that huge gummy smile, and I am ready to begin the day. I pick him up and go into the girls' room to wake my princesses. It's time for their day to begin, too.

They are not happy to see me. They moan and yawn and roll away from me as I steal their covers, hoping they will really wake up. I tell them I know how tired they are, and that maybe tonight we should go to bed earlier so they can get more sleep. This does not help their mood.

We're now all headed downstairs for breakfast, and when the girls see there is no fabulous breakfast banquet set up and ready for them on the table, they both head to the couch for an extra five minutes of rest before I make them climb up to the table. The kids eat slowly ... and I mean s-l-o-w-l-y. Seriously, who can make a bowl of cereal last for 45 minutes? My kids, that's who. I feed the baby while everyone eats, and then we rush upstairs for showers and baths.

8:30 rolls around and I'm rushing everyone around, putting the finishing touches on girly hairdo's, making sure teeth are shiny white, and reminding the girls to put socks on before grabbing lunches, backpacks and shoes to head out the door.

Yes, my kids all look adorable by 8:45 am. I, on the other hand, look like the tired, old, bedraggled woman that lived in the shoe. Whatev.

This week Miss Priss' second grade class has been reading a story called "Get Up and Go." It's all about how long it takes this little girl to get ready to go in the morning. Miss Priss decided she needed to keep track of everything she does in the morning and how long it takes her to get ready. I tell her that's a great idea.

This morning I wake up to sounds of my little Bug at 6:49. But when I go down the hall, I see the light in the bathroom on, and I can smell shampoo and feel the damp air of the bathroom. Someone has showered already. Wow. She wasn't kidding around. I gather everyone else and head downstairs to find my little Miss Priss in the kitchen ... MAKING HER OWN LUNCH!!! (I know this might be common for some of you out there, but this is unprecedented in our house! Don't judge.)

Next to her on the counter is a list ...

Wake up - 6:16
Shower - 6:26
Get dressed - 6:38
Make lunch - 6:44

At this point I'm thinking, Dude. Where has this book been all my life??? At this rate she'll be ready for school by 7:00, she'd have time to get all her chores done, SHE could feed the baby, and I could still be in bed. Ah, fantasies.

After breakfast and brushing teeth, she asks for help finishing her hair. As we talk together in the bathroom, I ask her what she thinks about this book they've been reading. She says she really likes it. And I ask, "How long does it take for the girl in the book to get ready in the morning?"

She says, "Like 11 chapters. I'm way faster than that."

7 comments:

Maxmomma said...

Wow, that is AWESOME! Bless that author... they deserve some major fan mail. When you find out who it is, please let me know. With a girl on the way, I don't know a mother of a daughter who doesn't say it takes FOREVER for them to get ready. I think Miss Priss has proven that when she sets her mind to something- she can do it! Very impressive. Way to go Princess!

Karina said...

Way funny! And Reason #4,892 why we homeschool:) That book sounds great...for me. I'm going to look for it. Cute kids, Kim! I love hearing from you.

jenorme said...

I am purchasing that book on Amazon right now...wish me luck! ;) Too funny.

Vicki said...

Sounds like a great book, good for you!! Luckily, my kids already know that I DON'T do mornings, so they usually get ready by themselves.

kam said...

That is too funny!!!! :) Way to go Miss Priss!!!!

Pettin'Tales said...

Then you have to wait for me to get over there and work out and you are LUCKY if you can get showered before you have to pick DC up! Maybe with this new book you guys can start walking to school.

Mindy said...

That is so funny! I've gotta find a way to get my kids moving faster in the mornings. None of us are morning people here so our mornings are ridiculous. Maybe I'll have to try that book!