Friday, July 07, 2006

Oooh, Is That a Louis Vuitton?


So I had one of those purse parties the other day. You know, the ones where someone comes with all the designer knock-off handbags at a fraction of the price. Didn't go as well as I had planned. I guess people in my circle are as cheap - uh, I mean as frugal - as I am. But it was still tons of fun. I'd totally do it again.

The girl comes to my house with baskets full of purses for display, and we chatted a bit while we set them up.

Here's me: "Wow, these are really cute. You'd never know they're not the real thing. Where do you get them?"

Bag lady: "Actually, it's really hush-hush. I order mine from someone in Albuquerque, but I think they actually come from New York. No one in the business really talks about it."

Me: "Really?"

Bag lady: "Yeah. The lady's shop gets like raided and stuff all the time."

Me: "Huh."

My inner monologue: "Raided? Are you kidding me? Are people seriously that hard up for a purse with a designer name, that's not even the real thing, mind you, and that unwilling to pay $60 - $100 for it??? Wow, people are freaking nuts!"

But I had a great time with my friends. Thanks, S, for bringing a few, and K, for driving you and your friends halfway across town just to be there for me. Oh, and for actually buying one of the bags. How lucky am I for having you as my sister! And let's not forget a great big thank you for buying the wallet I totally wanted.

Yeah, that's right. I was totally eyeballing this cute pink Coach wallet, but at the time had chosen a great little Louis Vuitton beach bag. So my friend sees my sister looking at the wallet and says, "Yeah, The Woman totally likes that one. You know, her birthday is coming up. You could buy it for her. She'd love it."

Here's my sister, "Whatever, I totally like that one. I'm buying it for me." Love you, too, sis.

Lots of people came, only two actually bought, which equalled a really miniscual discount for me, which equalled no super-cute LV beach bag. I'm not big into ticking off The Man by spending money we really don't have on something I really don't need.

So maybe I'll do another party another time. And hey, who knows, I may even buy a purse next time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dangit! Thanks for the email with the purses. I kind of want something a little bigger then what I saw in the pictures.
I always seem to find some cute ones at Target. They are the best quality but they work and are somewhat fashionable.
That seems WAY sketchy about the raids? Scary.....good thing you guys are incognito on here someone could have raided your house knowing you were having a party.
Sounds like fun!

Karen said...

So glad you started all this! And thank you for adding Grandma Darlin' to your links - you can't imagine how that name tickles me!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I am totally loving seeing this glimpse into how your life turned out. Things sound crazy, funny, happy. I'm glad things are good. Family's so cute, love the pictures. Thanks for sending this to me. Everything turns out exactly like it should in the end.

Anonymous said...

I finally figured out how to link your blog to mine. I don't know how much time I've spent on these dang blogs... I'm addicted!