Friday, September 21, 2007

Hello, My Name is She

Did you ever think about how strange a telephone conversation can sound to our kids, who are only hearing our side of it? I often say things on the phone that I never thought the girls would pick up on. Here's another example of how wrong I can be ...

(Phone rings)

"Hello?"

"This is she."

"Oh, hi! How are you?"

"We're good."

"Really?"

"SHUT UP!!!"

"Yeah, I can do that."

"Sure. Don't worry about it. I'll take care of it today."

"Okay, sounds good. We'll talk to you soon."

"Thanks, bye!"

As I hang up the phone, Miss Priss asks, "Mom, do you have the name she?"

Me: "What?"

Miss Priss: "Your name. What's your name?"

Me: "You know my name. My name is The Woman."

Miss Priss: "Then why did you say, 'This is SHE.'"????

Hmmm. How do you explain proper English to a five-year-old?

5 comments:

Kim said...

As a side note; this is Miss Priss' new favorite hairstyle. You won't get it unless you've seen the movie, but she's always asking me for "Aquamarine hair."

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the movie but her hair looks darling. I remember "the days" when you did yours like that!
So I want to hear you explained proper english to her?
I also love the look on Devil Child's face!
TOO cute!

Shawna said...

LOVE the Aquamarine hair!!

Amy A. said...

Ah! I LOVE that picture of the girls! Their expressions are priceless....

Michelle Arnett said...

You are so funny! i love your posts. . they always make me laugh. It was good to see you!