If you noticed the new addition to my sidebar and are sitting at your computer thinking to yourself, "What the crap? How did I not know? Am I always the LAST to know?" don't worry. You're not alone. In the past I could not keep it a secret whenever we found out we were having a baby. It was just so exciting, and I wanted the whole world to know. But this time was different. Yes, I was very excited, but the news came shortly before Father's Day, and since we weren't expecting this news, I thought it would be a fabulous idea to wait until then to tell The Man. So I didn't mention a word to anyone. Well, almost. Had to tell someone, so I told Idaho. (Yes, by the way, I'm calling you Idaho now. That's what you get for moving away from me.)
And I should add that three weeks of hiding this information from your spouse is NOT recommended. Almost the entire time I was dealing with morning sickness (all-day sickness for some of us), I was totally on my own. No sympathy from The Man, who I convinced that it was just the flu ... and then food poisoning. I thought three weeks would go by fast. That's what I get for thinking.
As we prepared for Father's Day, I wanted to find a special way to tell him that he was going to be a father yet again. The kids and I all went down to Creative Pottery to paint a gift for him. We picked out the perfect item ... an ice cream bowl. We painted and colored, stuck handprints and wrote names all over the bowl. I wrote Happy Father's Day, we listed all of our names, and on the bottom of the inside of the bowl I put "and baby."
The big day finally arrived, and I was so glad he was finally going to know. This year Father's Day just happened to be his birthday too, so he was on the phone a lot answering calls from friends and family. We had already celebrated with gifts and cards earlier on in the day, so he thought we were all done. But when dinner was over I dished out ice cream for everyone, and put his in his new special bowl. I told him we had one last gift for him, and we all started eating. Then his brother called. Arrggg. I swear, it took that man 30 MINUTES to eat that freakin' bowl of ice cream!
I couldn't wait any longer. I interrupted the call and asked, "Aren't you done yet?" And he whispered back to me, "Yeah, I just have a little milk left at the bottom."
Side note: We like to put milk in our ice cream. My dad has always done it for as long as I can remember, and when The Man and I were "friends," the first time we had ice cream together he asked for some milk to put in his. I was in love.
Anywho, I hurried him along and told him to just drink it already. He did, and casually looked at the bowl when he finished. He was in mid sentence with his brother when his eyes widened, he looked at me and shouted, "SERIOUSLY?!?!?" and then quickly told his brother he had to hang up.
I suppose after keeping it to myself for so long, it didn't seem so, I don't know, urgent anymore. It wasn't until a few weeks later that I started calling my family to tell them, or mentioning it to some close friends. And I almost got in trouble with a few who had already heard about it from someone else. So my point is, please don't be offended if you didn't receive a personal phone call with the news. Trust me, you're not the last to know. There's a big group of you who are all finding out together.
This pregnancy has been different from all the other three, and I'm trying to enjoy it since it will most likely be my last. I don't feel totally sure that we're done, but The Man is sure enough for the both of us. The doctor even told us this week that my labs for my kidneys are better than they were with my last pregnancy. I told him having children is healing me. And after being told that we shouldn't have any children at all, he'll never know how true those words are for me.
The doctor also told us what we're having. Any guesses?
22 comments:
Congrats!!! That is so exciting! Good for you to keep it a secret that long. I think it would kill me off to keep a secret like that. So are you going to keep the sex a secret too?
It's a girl! 50% chance eh?
This is so exciting!! I am very happy for you guys. Please take good care of yourself!
Sitting here a little teary-eyed... don't know why, just am. Sometimes things just strike me in an unexpected way. But of course, I'm sure your're thinking, "I already knew that about you. I've seen you cry more than anyone." Anyway, great news! I can't think of a more worthy family for a precious spirit to brought into. I'm very happy for you.
And you know, I was thinking on Sunday that you were wearing a maternity shirt, but didn't ask. I should have.
My guess: ALL BOY!
That's fantastic!!! Congrats!!!! What a fun way to let the "Man" know. My guess is another BOY!!!
I'm so happy for you! And so glad that things are going well so far! I'm so glad you are healthy!
I'm no good at guessing, but this is a nice 50/50 chance. . . I say a boy - just to even things out! Congrats!
Wow, congrats! You forgot to tell us when you are due....or was that intentional? I'm guessing boy.
WOW! That is just the greatest news! So great! Are you over the sicknesses yet? Well, I 've got some news too... Tell ya soon... betcha cant guess... AND I would hope you'd have another boy to even out the playing field- but I am leaning towards a girl. Can't wait to hear what...
I loved how you told your hubby! Congratulations! Hmmm... my guess is it's a boy!
Congrats Harmon family! (Kim--you don't know me, I'm an old friend of Ty's from WJ). Your family is adorable. I'm hoping it's a boy for you!
Wow, total shocker! Congratulations!
I'm guessing a girl (if you end up with 2 and 2, I'm going to be mad). JK!
Oh how I miss you guys! I am glad that things are looking good with your kidneys, are you feeling better? I bet it is a boy! You need to take it easy woman. Don't forget to call once in a while, I am up 24/7 so anytime works! Love ya, give the girls a kiss. Ethan misses them like crazy.
I'm sorry Scott had to call at the WRONG moment. We're very excited for you and I already know what the sex of the baby is so I won't say anything other then you're getting the best of both worlds!!!
You guys are both so clever. I am so excited for you both. My guess is boy.
What the!?!?!?! First of all, you are pregnant, but second, you are far enough along to know what you are having? Girlfriend how far along are you? What day are you due? I am so excited for you! Were you trying at all or total surprise? I guess Boy just for the brother. Even up the teams. Lots o loves and congrats again and again!
Congratulations!! I like the way you told Ty.
Congratulations!!! I'm going with BOY!
Hmmm.... I'm going to go with Girl.
Congratulations! We're excited for you. Hopefully your Sunbeam can handle class without us this week! We're leaving for California tonight! Woo Hoo!
I guess I shouldn't guess since the Man already told me!! Congrats! I am so dang excited for you!!
Congratulations! That's exciting news. I can't imagine how you kept that a secret. I don't even get sick, but I wouldn't be able to hold it in for that long. (Good thing for me I'm oblivious to these things for about 13 weeks anyway).
Seriously, I don't think I can wait anymore. Are you gonna wait a FULL week before you share? I might just have to call you in person....I'm very impatiently waiting....
Kim! Hey this is Natalie Castleberry, I found you on Kata's blog. Email me and I will send you an invite so we can keep tabs on eachother better!
chickerbocker@gmail.com
OMG, are you having twins: boy AND girl?!?!!!!
After reading the comment that someone wrote about you having the best of both worlds, to me it kind of hinted to fraternal twins. Are you??? Holy shmoly. Tell me. Tell me.
Post a Comment